Hello everyone, Winnie Griggs here.
By the time this post goes up it’ll be Labor Day and I certainly hope you all are able to take the opportunity to have a relaxing day with family and friends.
Around our house, Labor Day usually means outdoor cookouts. But for my family, instead of BBQs and picnics, we like to send the summer out with a seafood boil. This year it’s going to be shrimp.
I love a good seafood boil. In addition to the shrimp and appropriate seasonings, the pot this year will contain corn, potatoes, sausage, mushrooms, cauliflower, onions, garlic, lemons and limes- a veritable banquet!
Here’s a photo taken from a prior Labor Day feast – doesn’t it look yummy?
Of course, no feast would be complete without a great dessert. So today I thought I’d share with you one of my favorite summer treats. It’s a sort of trifle that my family calls a punch bowl cake. It’s super easy to make and as a bonus, especially on these hot summer days, it’s no bake!
- 1 pre-made angel food cake
- 1 large tub of whipped topping
- 1 package of either vanilla or cheesecake flavored instant pudding (6 serving size)
- Approx 1 lb berries of your choice (I prefer strawberries but I’ve made it with mixed berries as well)
- Prepare pudding according to directions.
- Mix together with whipped topping and set aside
- Tear cake into bite-sized pieces
- In a large bowl, layer ingredients as follows:
- 1/3 each of angel food cake, berries and then cream mixture
- Repeat twice more
- If desired, garnish top with additional berries, nuts or grated chocolate
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
So what about you? Do you have any special Labor Day traditions? Any favorite end of summer foods? Share your answers and I’ll put you in the running for a copy of any book in my backlist.