Thanksgiving Idea of my very own

Today is going to be short

But VERY sweet.

It’s pie.

In the last 18 months we’ve found out my husband has celiac disease. So NO GLUTEN. It’s been a shocking change in lifestyle. He’s been heroic about it. But then I think his belly hurt BAD.

So now we’re a gluten free household (Okay, I occasionally sneak a slice of bread)

And I am the official pie maker in my family.

Well, guess what I found out. The crust in pie (that gluteny little devil) is not an essential part of the pie!

So here is the pecan pie recipe I’ve used for years for my family and it is COMPLETELY UNCHANGED.

Except I poured it into a well-buttered baking dish (I chose a casserole dish rather than a pie pan) without any crust.

It was delicious.

We had no complaints and no problem devouring the whole thing.

Give it a try if you’re trying to be gluten free.

Pecan Pie

This is the easiest pie ever.

In mixing bowl combine:

3 eggs

2/3 C. sugar

½ t. salt

1/3 C. butter (melted)

1 C. corn syrup

Mix all ingredients together just until they are blended, add:

1 C. pecan pieces

mix slightly. Pour into unbaked crust. Cover pie with sheet of aluminum foil, just lay it over the top don’t crimp the edges. Bake at 350 for 40 or 50 minutes, uncovering for the last 10 or 15 minutes. Pie is done when knife comes out clean. I like to over bake it. The pie gets a carmelly…delicious texture that only comes with time.

The pie will have a beautiful domed shape when its done, then you’ll take it our and it will fall. That’s normal.

To bake this pie with the crust…add crust. 🙂 For best results, add the crust UNDER the filling.

I made a lemon meringue pie this way and a pumpkin. You won’t even miss that crust.

Website | + posts

Author of Romantic Comedy...with Cowboys including the bestselling Kincaid Brides Series

39 thoughts on “Thanksgiving Idea of my very own”

1. You could just call it pudding or custard in a pie plate. I never thought about doing this with pecan pie but have done lemon meringue in custard cups.

2. Sounds good. Thankfully, none of us have to be gluten free, although one daughter is starting to have issues. I do have a couple of friends that are and will share this with them.
    Take good care of yourself. Stay safe and healthy. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

• Happy Thanksgiving, Patricia. Think of how much easier pie is without the crust. I mean, Pumpkin and pecan pie are the very easiest to make. I did try a gluten free crust but it was so SMALL. Why wouldn’t they make the crust a standard 9 in? Then I had all this filling left and baked it in a small…small small casserole dish and thought it was pretty good!

3. Mary- I’ve been gluten free for 5 years now. I have discovered that gluten pills I get from the health food store allows me to consume or if we eat out and I accidentally consume gluten, that it counteracts the affects. I have found so many recipes that I’ve changed over the years to be gluten free are really delish. I love salmon patties and instead of crackers in them I crush up plain pork skins and they work great w/out changing the taste. The pork skins & egg holds the patties together.
    I feel for your husband and hope you continue to find great recipes to make. I’ll be trying your pecan pie, it’s my favorite.

4. Where there’s a will…. there’s a way! Your pie looks delicious! I found out I have celiac disease plus my sugar was high so I received a double whammy!

• Well, I get tired of it, but I’ve settled in. And I keep a loaf of bread in the freezer and have learned how to break off a slice when I need one. I’d just my husband and me and no one person can eat a whole loaf of bread before it gets old. So that’s the solution.

5. You did it! I love the no crust idea. Welcome to the world of finding creative solutions to make things gluten free. It is a struggle sometimes and you may get discouraged, but keep at it and your hubby will be so happy without that pain.

• My Cowboy has really done a great jog of tackling this gluten free life. But not long ago he ate an English Muffin he thought was gluten free and his was miserable for hours. Really had a bad belly ache all night. So it’s easy for him to be careful because the punishment for failure is harsh!

6. I totally understand your husband. I am not celiac but my body does talk to me when I eat gluten. Best of luck in the kitchen.

• Kathy, thanks so much. I really appreciate that. I’ve always had a problem with overcooking the pie, too. I just feel like it takes LONGER than the recipe says. And my kids say my pies are unusually carmelly. But they get too brown, thus the foil. And in a casserole dish the foil rests on the dish not the pie so it works well. The foil can stick to the crust.

7. My mom and grandma have been making crustless pie for years (though typically pumpkin), not because of gluten, but because there always seems to be too much pie filling for a single crust. Well, that and my mom despises making pie crusts, so if a frozen one isn’t handy, it WILL BE crustless. My husband, who loves pie yet finds nothing to love about crusts, was overjoyed to discover this habit in the women of my family.

8. Thank you for telling us to put the pie crust on the bottom. ?? I’ve never thought about making a pie without the crust. My husband would love it that way because he always leaves the pie crust on his plate. I’m going to try your recipe.
    You’re the best author Mary and I look forward to reading your post on FB You always make me smile or LOL.
    Hey, I had a great idea! The next time you make a pie mail me a piece. That way I’ll know if I’d want to make one. ??

9. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe,it sounds delicious. Have a “Happy Thanksgiving!” God Bless you and your family.

10. This sounds YUMMY! My hubby and I aren’t gluten free, but we’ve been (mostly) white flour and sugar-free for weight-loss for the last few years, so a lot of our recipes end up being GF by default. I make several variations of “crusts”. I made some sugar-free, GF Pumpkin Bars last week and we devoured them.

11. Thanks for sharing your recipe and your special tip “For best results, add the crust UNDER the filling” made me laugh on this Friday night!
    Blessings & Happy They!!