In starting this blog, I’m afraid I might not be able to think of “10” fun facts that you might not know about me. So please bear with me if you find these less than intriguing…
Oh, I’ll be giving away a free e-book of my recent book, BLACK EAGLE, to one of you who blog here today. All rules for giveaways on our site apply.
Okay — here goes:
- I love cats and dogs and have done so all of my life. When I was in first grade I walked another girl in my class home because she was afraid of a dog. She got home safely — the dog was merely curious, I think — and I got a spanking. Ouch!
- When I was very small, we had a dog who was mean. He was always kept in a large cage outside. But I wasn’t afraid of him, and I became the only person whom he would let pet him.
- When I was about 3 years old, I overheard my mom and dad talking about the new kitten litter and heard them agree that my dad should take them to the river and drown them. The next day, before anyone was up, I took the kittens and hid them in a drawer in my bedroom. The entire household was frantic trying to find the kittens until someone (I think my dad) noticed that I wasn’t concerned at all. And so he followed me as I went to my room to see to the kittens, and my deed of hiding them in a drawer was discovered. Needless to say those kittens were not drowned.
- My mom was a music teacher and I grew up loving music. I play the piano and clarinet — a little bit of flute, also. My mom used to get us kids up (there were 3 of us) to practice every day on each instrument — for 1/2 hour each before school. She kept a clock on top of the piano to make sure we practiced an entire 1/2 hour. I used to set that clock up about 5 minutes almost everyday. : ) Not sure this was ever discovered, but it must’ve been cause the clock was always close to the right time.
- Because of all this practice and my mom entering all three of us into contests, I got used to playing in competition. My sister and I won 1st Superior on our clarinet solos and amazingly, in a time and place where almost no one from our town could win a 1st Superior on piano in Grade School, I managed to do it. Went on to win a 1st on the piano at our State Contest in High School my senior year.
- The first story I ever wrote was a Science Fiction story for our English Class. I won 2nd place, which surprised me. It was the first time I’d ever considered that someone else might be interested in something that I’d written.
- Met my husband, Paul, on a blind date. I hadn’t wanted to go on the date. I’d only been recently divorced, had jumped into a bad relationship immediately, and had only just put that behind me, and I wasn’t wanting anything to do with relationships — especially a blind date. But I went anyway. Turned out to be the best decision I’ve ever made!
- My grandfather’s house didn’t have a bathroom. It was the old style washbasin and pitcher in the bedroom arrangement. In order to get to the outhouse, we had to go through the chicken coop. : ) In writing BLACK EAGLE, I mention the heroine using a washbasin and pitcher in her room — and in writing that scene, I remembered when I had been required to do the same whenever we visited my grandfather.
- Probably one of the proudest moments of my life was when I was adopted into the Blackfeet Indian Tribe as an acknowledgement for work I’d done with them on literacy. Not sure that anyone knew that my knees were shaking.
Okay, well that’s it for me. How about you? What are some fun things that you can tell me about yourself?