Jason’s Chicken : )

We had a goat in the house this spring. A kid, actually. (Kid being a baby goat.)

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned here that whenever we eat, everyone who’s on the property at lunch time gets dragged to the table to eat with us. We’ve always done that since there are often parts people, repairmen, drivers, farm workers, neighbors and anyone else who might visit a farm or trucking company during the day. When we lived in Pennsylvania, it wasn’t uncommon for us to have ten or twelve people for lunch every day.

The goat being in the house prompted us to ask each other if we remembered about Jason’s chicken. We sure did.

Before we had 40,000 chickens we had a bunch of hens who were not fenced at all and the coop was beside the garage where the trucks were parked over the weekend.

Jason’s an old farm boy who drove for us, still does, actually, and parked his truck here like everyone else. One day a truck passed him and the guy came on the radio and said, “You know you have a chicken on your truck?”

Here is where I have to admit that this wasn’t too unusual. Sometimes the chickens roosted on the trucks, and if the guys left before dawn, they might have a passenger. Since we hauled to feed mills, we kind of chuckled about this, because if the chickens hop off at the feed mill, they’re not going to starve, right?

Anyway, Jason thanked the dude and kept going. When he got to his destination, he did his thing and didn’t think too much about it until he was ready to go and remembered about the chicken.

He didn’t see it running around, so he got to poking around on the truck. He found it where the trailer hitches to the truck. There’s some cross beams that come up and made a nice little box-like area for it, just big enough for it to set.

I think I mentioned Jason’s a farm boy, so he did a little more poking, and sure enough, she was setting on seven eggs.

I’ve often wondered what in the world made that chicken look at that truck and think, boy that looks like a great place to lay my eggs and hatch a family.

To finish the story, Jason drove the rest of the week and the next with that chicken on his truck. He said she’d jump down when he stopped and maybe grab a bite to eat and a drink, but she was always back up on her eggs before he left.

No one washed the truck (which drove my husband crazy), and finally, Jason took the truck home and tried to move the nest to a spot in his barn. That never works, and it didn’t in this case either – the hen wouldn’t set on the eggs once they were moved. But, Jason kept her, because I guess sharing an experience like that bonds you or something.

I’ve always wanted to put that in a book, but I never have.

Thanks so much for spending time with me today!

~Jessie

Website | + posts

USA Today best-selling author Jessie Gussman writes sweet and inspirational romance from her farm in central Virginia. Having attended, but never graduating from the school of hard knocks, Jessie uses real life on the farm to inspire her cowboy, rural and blue-collar fiction.

When she’s not chasing kids, cows and the occasional roll-away haybale, Jessie enjoys wading in Naked Creek and not cleaning her house. Most of the time her main goal is to keep from catching herself on fire…again.

If you enjoy fun stories with vivid characters showcasing strong families with a ribbon of faith tying everything together, you might enjoy Jessie’s books.

29 thoughts on “Jason’s Chicken : )”

1. What a cute story! I have never had a chicken ride in my truck but I have gone 15 miles down the road before realizing my cat was in the back of the truck.

2. Great story! If you put it in a book someone would probably call you out for it being too unbelievable. Ha! Jokes on them.

3. welcome today. that would be such a fun part in a book. LOL when I lived on a farm, one day mom was taking down sheets and she had just put them in a basket, when one of my brothers came and got her. We had a really mean cow and only mom could handle her. Not that she liked mom, but mom wouldn’t take any guff off of her. there was a funny respect between the two. Anyway mom put the basket down by the house and went to take care of Samantha. By the time Samantha was back in her pen mom went in the front door to start dinner and forgot about the basket. Oh I should mention that we always let the chickens loose during the day. And we were one short, but they always stayed on our property and my brother didnt go and look for her. So next morning after we were off to school, mom went and looked for her sheets to find that loose chicken sitting on eggs on the sheets. Mom just picked up the whole basket, chicken and all and put her under one of the peach trees. Gave her a dish of food and another dish of water. Our Lady dog and our dog Sherrie would make sure she would be ok. Besides our property was fenced in, so no coyotes could get in easily. Eight baby chicks later, mom made sure to put her baskets in the house after that. And some of us got new sheets fLOL

4. Haha, I loved this! We have free ranging chickens and the places we find nests just makes us shake our heads. They sure are guaranteed entertainment!

5. Jessie, Your stories always get me into remembering my days on the farm. We had a lot of chickens, but never had one roost on a truck. We did have a couple of geese, that thought the half walled, back porch was a perfect place to spend the evenings. And it wasn’t unusual to get up in the morning, and find a couple of eggs waiting for us, by the back door.
    Even tho we only had baby goats in our house, when the kids carried them in, the calf in the kitchen, was enough to keep me busy. I do long for those days, again.

• They sound like fun times! I’ve seen geese eggs and they’re pretty big. I’ve never eaten one, though. I’ve had duck and quail eggs. Similar in taste but the texture is different.

6. Oh, Jessie!! Your writing is always so vivid and descriptive. I COULD JUST SEE THIS!! What an adorable story about that adorable hen. She was such a good mother. Well, until her nest was moved, and then she was done. LOL. Who knew?

Thanks for sharing this glimpse into your friends and your life!

• Aww, thanks! And yeah, the things that Jen experienced going down the road…I know I wouldn’t want to ride on a trailer with nothing holding me on!

7. Chickens do tend to decide where they want to lay their eggs and there isn’t much you can do about it. Our hens rarely used the nesting boxes when we first got them. We found eggs all over the pen, behind bales of hay, and on a black trash bag, a favorite. My husband finally added a board to the boxes making them a bit deeper. It seems that is what they wanted. They are now using the boxes 99% of the time. Yesterday he found 3 eggs in a corner of the pen under the hops.
    There was one time he went out to collect the eggs and got a bit of a surprise. He reached under a hen on the nest and felt something smooth and definitely not egg shaped. He lifted the hen and found a good sized black rat snake curled up under her. By the time he put the hen down, the snake had left the nest and gone down a hole. We know it is still around because we have seen it several times. The last one was just outside the chicken pen with a rat that was supper. It is welcome to hang around.