Lots of us have had tough years personally before, but not in my lifetime have we as a human race had such a difficult year. If you’re like me, New Year’s held a new significance and you’re thankful to see 2020 in the rearview mirror. Hopeful for 2021, I tried writing about the activities I desperately miss and appreciate more since COVID-19. I hope this year to return to treating myself to a mani-pedi (I’m so relieved it’s closed toe shoe season!), getting a haircut every six to eight weeks instead of twice a year, going to lunch with friends and sitting close enough we don’t need walkie-talkies to converse, and window shopping. Somehow instead of being the hopeful post I intended, I found myself needing a break from thinking about COVID and the harsh realities it’s brought crashing down on our lives.
Also needing to laugh, I turned to a book I discovered in Glassboro, New Jersey visiting my son. When the title caught my eye, This Is Like, Totally a Quote Book, I had to open it. The dedication had me LOLing. “This book is dedicated to the eminent individuals whose words are parodied herein. We’d like to imagine each of them, living or dead, getting a chuckle out of it. We only wish we could invite them all to dinner. * That would be, like, totally an amazing party. *Except maybe Hannibal Lecter.”
The book takes famous quotes and inserts the phrase like, totally. Having been part of the generation that thought those words were so cool, I couldn’t stop reading. The next thing I knew I was reading quotes to my husband. So today, in hopes of making you smile and showing how adding two words can change a sentence, I’ve tweaked some famous quotes.
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in like, totally rising every time we fall.” -Nelson Mandela
- The way to get started is to like, totally quit talking and begin doing. -Walt Disney
- Life is what happens like, when you’re busy totally making other plans. -John Lennon
- To be or like, totally not to be. -William Shakespeare
- When you reach the end of your rope, like tie a knot in it and totally hang on. -Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but like, totally by the seeds that you plant. -Robert Louis Stevenson
- It is during our darkest moments that we must like, totally focus to see the light. -Aristotle
Here’s some modified western/cowboy sayings from grammar.yourdictionary.com.
- Some cowboys have like, totally too much tumbleweed in their blood to settle down.
- When you’re throwin’ your weight around, be like, totally ready to have it thrown around by someone else.
- Always like, totally drink upstream from the herd.
- Never ask how stupid someone is ‘cause they’ll like, turn around and totally show you.
- The only good reason to ride a bull is to like, totally meet a nurse.
And my favorite…
- Never like, jump a barbed wire fence totally naked.
I hope these changes to famous quotes made you chuckle. To be entered in the random drawing for today’s giveaway of the sparkly Peace sign and a signed copy of Home on the Ranch: Family Ties share a quote and like, totally parody it in This Is Like, Totally a Quote Book style. Here’s to 2021. May your year be blessed, and wishing you like, totally the best year ever!