Renee Ryan here and I have an apology to make. The last time I blogged I announced the winner of a copy of one of my books. Unfortunately, the post got lost in cyber space due to a problem with our site. So…I plan to make up the oversight here today. You have to read to the end of the blog to see what I have in mind.
I’m working on my next book. It’s Book 9 (and the final book) in my Charity House. The book is set in the 1890s in Denver, Colorado. The hero is one of the first “orphans” to live at Charity House. Jonathon (formerly Johnny) Hawkins is all grown up and has made good. In fact, he owns a chain of hotels across the United States. When I first started thinking about what my all-grown-up Johnny was like I did what I always I do. I researched. When I came across Conrad Hilton, the founder of the Hilton Hotel chains, I knew I’d met the model for Jonathon.
If I shared everything I learned about Connie here today this blog post would be several pages long. Instead of overwhelming you, here are a few of the more interesting Fast Facts about this incredibly interesting man.
- Conrad Hilton founded the Hilton Hotel chains
- He was born on Christmas day in 1887
- He died January 3, 1979
- He was born in San Antonio, New Mexico Territory
- He had 8 siblings
- His father, Augustus Halvorsen Hilton, was an immigrant from Norway
- His mother, Mary Genevieve, was a Catholic American of German descent
- He was married three times, most notably to Zsa Zsa Gabor
- He had a degree in mining from New Mexico Military Institute
- He was a great philanthropist, which was influenced by his strong Catholic beliefs
- His mother taught him that prayer was the best investment he could ever make
- He fought in WWI
- He built his first hotel in 1925, the Dallas Hotel
- His great granddaughters are Paris and Nikki Hilton
I could go on, but I’ll save “how” he built his empire for another blog post. Leave a comment and I’ll put in a drawing to receive a copy of my September release, HIS MOST SUITABLE BRIDE, where Jonathon has a strong secondary role.
Now, about my last post…
Because of the confusion due to site issues, I’ve decided to give the following people a copy of my September release, or any book from my backlist they choose. Britney Adams, Cindy Wodard, Colleen, Connie J, Cori and Lori…email me your snail mail address and book preference at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get the book to you as soon as I can.