There's Something About Twins

There’s something about twins—or unrelated people who look alike—that captures the imagination, especially in stories.    Think of the classic stories—The Prince and the Pauper, The Man In the Iron Mask,  A Tale of Two Cities.  We could brainstorm a long list.

My first literary encounter with twins was probably “The Bobbsey Twins” series by Laura Lee Hope (actually a pseudonym for a string of writers).  Anyone who can remember, Bert and Nan, Freddie and Flossie as well as I do has been around the block a few times.

My new Harlequin Desire story is about twin brothers, but only one is living.  Jordan is tormented with guilt over his brother Justin’s death in a plane crash.  When he finds out his brother left a son, he is determined to take the little boy in and raise him.  But Angie, Justin’s former fiancée, has other ideas.  Angie has raised her son with pictures and stories about his father, and Lucas understands that his daddy is in heaven.  But she wants nothing to do with Justin’s family, who treated her badly.  This excerpt describes what happens when Jordan shows up at Angie’s apartment for the first time.

“Where’s the boy, Angie?  Where’s Lucas?”

“You have no right to ask!”  She was on guard now, a tigress ready to strike in defense of her cub.  “Lucas is my son.  My son!”

“And my brother’s son.  I have a copy of the birth certificate.  You listed Justin as the father.  I’m assuming that’s the truth.”

Something crumbled inside her.  “I did that for Lucas, so he’d know.  But Justin…”  She gulped back a surge of emotion.  “He never even knew I was pregnant.  I was going to tell him when he came home for my birthday.”

“So you were never married.  Not even secretly.”

“No.  You needn’t worry on that account, Jordan.  I have no claim on your family’s precious money, or anything else.  So go away and leave us alone.”

She studied his face for some sign that her words had made an impact.  But his expression could have been chiseled in basalt.

“You might have told us,” he said.  “It would’ve meant a lot to my parents, knowing Justin had left a child.”

“Your parents hated me!  How could I expose my innocent baby to those ugly feelings?”

“I want to see the boy.”

No!  Angie’s heart slammed.  She’d had no warning, no time to prepare Lucas for this.

“I don’t think—” she began.  But it was too late.  She heard the opening of the bedroom door and the cautious tread of small sneakers.  Evidently, Lucas had grown tired of waiting and decided to check things out for himself.

Short of lunging for her son, there was little Angie could do.  She watched in mute horror as Lucas emerged from the hallway and caught sight of their visitor.

His brown eyes opened wide.  Then his face lit with joyous wonder.  “Daddy!” he cried, racing across the room.  “Daddy, you came back!”

* * * * *

Here”s a snippet from a lovely review by Romance Junkies:

“Filled with witty repartee, complex characters, an intriguing plot, family dynamics, secrets, guilt, forgiveness, true love, second chances and a truly

emotional ending, this story is sure to steal your heart. It is one that you will remember long after the last page is read and the book is closed.”

You can learn more and find a purchase link on my web site.

Do you have any twins in your family?  What is your favorite “Twin” story?

m4s0n501

Written by Elizabeth Lane

I'm an internationally published romance author, coming up on 40 novels and novellas. Most of my stories have been Westerns for Harlequin Historicals, but I set stories in other times and places as well. I'll also be writing contemporary stories for Harlequin Desire, with the first release in January 2013. You can learn more on my web site.

Visit Elizabeth Lane's website

20 Comments on “There's Something About Twins”

You can track this conversation through its atom feed.

1. Maxie Anderson says:

This book sounds really good and I hope to read it someday! My husbands brother and wife had twin girls. He could never tell them apart until he found one had a mole behind one ear just in her hairline. So she heard this that when a stranger came, she would raise her hair back and say, I’m Karen, see I have a mole right here. So cute. I didn’t get to watch them grow up so don’t know what shenanigans they may have done. But, bet they did in High School. LOL My dad had a sister that was twin to his only brother. So, my mother hoped for twins and never got any from 8 kids. She did however get two sets of kids with same birthdays. Closest she came. The twin sister went on to get two sets of twins. And, another of dad’s sisters had twin grandkids. They used to say they skip a generation, but these two sets were born to the twin sister. So that proved wrong. Also, the sister to my twin nieces also had twins. Hope there will be a contest for this book soon. Maxie mac262@me.com

2. Winnie Griggs says:

Elizabeth, I’ve always been fascinated by twins as well. Loved the Bobsey Twins books as a child and The Prince and The Pauper story as well.

I’d always wanted to have three children and after I married I was on track to have that dream fullfilled when it turned out my last pregnancy I was carrying twins. I tell my husband the Good Lord intended me to have four so he snuck in an extra the last time around :) I have a set of wonderful twin daughters (identical) who are a real blessing to me and a set of twin nephews(fraternal) who are wonderful young men. This past summer my daughters went to the Twins Festival in Twinsburg Ohio for the first time and had a blast.

Your book sounds wonderful and congratulations on the great review.

3. Elizabeth Lane says:

Good morning everybody. I’m about to set off on a road trip to frigid Las Vegas where my hero has a convention to attend, so I won’t get to read your great twin stories till I get home. But thanks for your comments. I can hardly wait!

Maxie, it sounds like twins really do run in your family. Love the story about the mole. When I see twin babies, I ooh and aah, but can’t imagine raising them.

Winnie, I had no idea you were the mother of twins. Would love to see photos sometime and hear your stories about raising them. Never heard of the Twins Festival–and in Twinsburg, yet. It does sound like a blast!

Again, thanks for your great comments. Wishing you all a wonderful day.

4. Tracy Garrett says:

There are twins in our tree but none currently. Love the excerpt, Elizabeth!

5. Mary Connealy says:

Elizabeth, I just love the sound of this book, the cover, the ….. everything.
    I’ve been wanting to buy it in a store because that’s how I prefer to buy books but I was near a store this weekend and forgot so I caved and got it on Amazon.
    It sounds like such fun. :)
    In His Brother’s Place

6. Mary Connealy says:

I love twins in books, too. I’ve known a few moms with twins and oh my gosh, it’s so much work!!! Winnie, I’m glad you survived it, :).
    I do NOT kid myself that ‘IT’D BE SO MUCH FUN!!!’
    All you’d do is stay alive and keep the kids alive…don’t even talk about multiples like sextuplets. Yeesh

7. Renee Ryan says:

Elizabeth, I love twin books because, well, I’m a twin. My parents thought they were finished having babies. They had three boys already and that was enough. But when my mother discovered she was pregnant, everyone got on board. They definitely wanted a girl.

They didn’t get a girl, they got TWO girls. Surprise!!! (This was before sonograms) I spent my entire childhood answering to two names, mine and my sister’s. We were also known as “the twins” or gag…”the babies” and, yes, I still answer to her name.

Can’t wait to read this one! I’m a sucker for twin books. ;-)

8. Linda Broday says:

Wow! Elizabeth, that’s a very powerful excerpt. I’ve got to have this book. There are no twins in my family, but my husband had a brother and sister that were twins and they were born on my husband’s 2nd birthday. He never felt like he had a birthday at all, having to share it with two others. Talk about complicated feelings.

Wishing you bushels of success, Filly sister!

9. Kathleen O says:

There are twins in my family. My brother has twin girl and boy. When my SIL had the her sonagrams, they told them it was two boys. But when they arrived, Surprise it was one of each. They were a surprise in our family in more ways than one, because on both my mom and dad side there has never been twins. SO it had to come from their mother’s side.. And I have spoiled them from day one. That was 11yrs ago But even before they were born, I always loved stories about tiwns, especially if the story involved twin babies. Elizabeth, I have put this on my book list of must reads.

10. Connie J. says:

Loved this book!! Finished it just last week. A very good read!

There are all kinds of twins in our families. The first I know of are my twin cousins. Then my sister had a set of twins on 7-9-79, girls, one wieghing 7-9 and one weighing 9-7!!
    I wanted so badly to test to see if mom could really tell them apart so one time as I babysit with them I switched their clothes. I got so worried that I switched them back before she came home. I confessed my crime several months later only to be told that she kept one twin’s toenail painted pink (I had not noticed it) but had to have them footprinted because she forgot which one she polished one time while bathing them and the polish had come off!!
    My youngest sister also has a set of twin girls. I cannot tell them apart but one told me she has a small dark spot just under her lip so I always have to look.

11. Joye says:

Enjoyed reading all of the comments about twins. I am an identical twin and there were never twins on either side of my family. We were the only set of twins in our small rural town and so everyone knew who we were. I always had a playmate who enjoyed doing the same things i did so that was fun for me.
    My mother always dressed us alike because she made all of our dresses. She used to take a photo of us on every birthday and the only one she could not tell which was which was on our first birthday and we had on our snow suits with hoods.
    When i was in high school we lived in a different state and there were 5 sets of twins-one set of boys, one boy and girl combination and 3 sets of girls. We go to all of our reunions and still some of our classmates can’t tell which is which.
    When my son was little he got really confused and would run to my sister and think it was me.
    When we first started dating boys in high school we once switched dates without them knowing it. What a fun night that was. Oh well, that’s another story.
    If any authors would like to ask questions about being a twin, I would be happy to tell them how they would re act in a certain situation. Oh and don’t believe that old adage about nice twin, bad twin. Most are so alike that would be just an exception rather than the rule.

12. Quilt Lady says:

My mother was a twin but so far no one else in the family has had twins. I always thought it would be fun to be a twin. Love the cover of your book and I can’t wait to read it.

13. Victoria Bylin says:

Hi Elizabeth! I thoroughly enjoyed your book. Terrific story and such a sweet ending for everyone! No twins in the family here . . . we’re all one of a kind.

14. Mary Connealy says:

I can’t think of a single set of twins in my family. I’ve even gone back in the past. Gone sideways into second cousins. Weird. You’d think a pair would show up once in a while.
    None in my husband’s family either…wait…he’s got a first cousin, though it’s my mother in law’s half brother…who had twins. So, there’s one at least!

15. Margaret Brownley says:

Hi Elizabeth, Congratulations on your new release. What a darling cover. Hope your sales double!

16. Kirsten says:

Elizabeth, I can’t wait to read this book! I’m going to have to move it up the TBR pile.

My mom and her brother were twins. They were very close, and he was my favorite of my mom’s siblings (he let me shadow him while he did his chores around the farm). He died a few years ago from cancer, and my poor mom has always felt a bit lost without him.

–Kirsten

17. Charlene Sands says:

Hi Elizabeth — I married a twin, but unlike your story, which is on my TBR list, btw..my hubby isn’t identical, so no fun “switched” stories to speak about. Great premise and beautiful review of your story. Congrats on a fabulous book, my Filly and Desire sister!!

18. Patricia B. says:

Thank you for the excerpt. I could feel the little boys joy. This will be a story I will enjoy from the set-up given in the excerpt.
    No twins in any of our families. My girls are 15 months apart, and once the youngest was out of the baby stage, it was a lot like having twins. That was close enough for me. My hat goes off to parents of multiples. When babies are little, they don’t understand “you have to wait your turn.”
    Oddly enough, I have not known or met many twins. I have to be content with meeting them in books. PS, I too remember the Bobbsey Twins. The library where I worked until a couple of years ago had a nearly complete set of the books and they were still being checked out.

I hope the release of IN HIS BROTHER’S PLACE does well. I’ll be reading it.

19. Gabrielle Meyer says:

I’m a mother to two and a half year old twin boys! It’s an incredible honor and responsibility. My boys don’t look anything alike, and many people are surprised when I tell them the boys are twins. :) One is tall with blonde hair and a narrow face and one is shorter with a bit darker hair and a round face. I have so many stories to tell – but my favorite (it’s actually very gross, but I can’t wait to tell it to them when they’re older!) is when I caught them dipping their graham crackers in the toilet bowel and eating them! They had seen many of us dipping graham crackers in milk before, so I can only imagine it made sense to them. :) They were about 18 months old at the time. Like I said, this will be a fun one to share with them later on! :)

20. Cheryl Pierson says:

I’m late, Elizabeth, but just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your post. YES, I rememember the Bobbsey Twins–LOVED those books, soooo much. LOL There was a series (can’t remember the author) in our library that I think I read every one of–“The Irish Twins”, “The Australian Twins,” and so on. Probably about 20 volumes. Oh, how I loved those stories! And remember the triplets, Ricka, Flicka and Dicka? LOL I always wish I had a twin, because I came along later in my parents’ lives and my sisters were both so much older than I was. This book of yours looks like another winner for sure, and I love the premise as well as the cover. Good luck with it, my filly sis!
    Hugs,